“The rejection of the Iran-Russia joint proposal calling for an on-the-scene investigation on Khan Shaykhun incident by the Executive Council Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, was predictable, said Mikhail Ulyanov Director of the Foreign Ministry Department for Non-Proliferation and Arms Control on Thursday.
The Russian politician said that in order to go ahead with such a decision, at least 2/3 of the votes were needed, but the number of votes by Western countries was more than 1/3.
“Now, there is no chance of dispatching international observers to Khan Shaykhun, the site of the chemical incident,” Ulyanov said.
“So we can conclude that Western countries have accepted there has been no use of chemical weaponry by the Syrian Army,” he said.
“That is why they have prevented international observers from going to the site to uncover the truth,” he added.
Damascus called the incident ‘a conspiracy to attack Syria’ and joined Iran and Russia to demand an impartial and close scrutiny of the event.”
It has rejected all allegations regarding the Syria’s use of chemical weapons against its own people, saying that the country had already destroyed its chemical weapons and that the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons had certified it.
Accusing the Syrian government of being behind the attack, on April 4, Donald Trump ordered the US forces to take an action; and based on the unsubstantiated accusation, the US navy launched 59 missiles to an airbase in Syria.